It is time to renew green card. Why wait? Read below to know how! Green card, officially known as the Permanent Resident Card that acts as a legal permit to allow foreign residents to live, settles and works in the USA.
This article provides you an insight into the process and procedure involved in renewal green card. Get acquainted with all the details related to the procedure to apply for renewing a green card, when and how to renew, what to do when your appeal is denied and more. To replace your green card, read this!
Procedure to Renew a Green Card
Are you a permanent resident having a 10-year-old green card that has already expired or is due to expire within 6 months, begin the renewal process by the following:
- Online E-Filing Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
- Filing a paper Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card by mail.
Procedure to Renew a Green Card (Outside the United States)
If you are staying outside U.S and your green card is expected to expire within 6 months. But you have plans to return within a year of moving outside the U.S and before the card expires, It is important to file for your renewal card the moment you return to the U.S.A.
In case you are outside U.S and unfortunately, your card expires without you applying for the renewal card before your departure. In such case, contact the nearest U.S Consulate, USCIS office or the U.S port of entry before filing form I-90 for a renewed green card.
Time Period to Renew Green Card
If you are a permanent resident having a Form I-551 which is valid for 10 years, which will be expired within the next 6 months. Thus, it is important to renew it on time.
Also, in case you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring, then such instructions are not valid for you. In such matters, use form I-751 (Petition to remove the conditions on residence) that is applicable to apply to remove conditions on your permanent resident status.
Procedure to Find the Status of Your Application
Check the status of your application online at ‘My Case Status’. This website shall not provide you with an e-filed receipt number for the next 72 hours. To answer your immigration related questions, call the USCIS National Customer Service Center. Provide the USCIS staff with all necessary details like your name, date of birth, receipt number, application and alien registration number.
Appealing Process when your Application Is Denied
Your application for renewing your green card is denied? Worry not! You will be getting an official letter describing reasons for the denial. A negative decision will not be allowed to appeal. Submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider giving your feedbacks about the denial. The moment you file a motion, the USCIS office will re-examine or reconsider the decision.
The reopening motion should consist of some facts that are strong enough to make your case reopened along with some relevant documentary evidence. The motion should have some evidence that proofs its point based on a false application of the law, immigration policy and such.
Invalid Versions of Green Card
Do you have previous versions of alien registration card? Then it is important to replace it with a current green card. Previous versions include USCIS form AR-3, Form AR-103, Form I-151 and more.
Renew Green Card Laws
The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) in Section 264 quotes that All aliens settled in the U.S is issued with a certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card that are prescribed under certain rules and regulations. An alien at the age of eighteen of above should copy of the above mention certificate. If he/she fails, then necessary steps shall be taken. To know about the procedures involved in renewing green card are stated in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) according to section 264.5.
Understand the Process for the Green Card Renewal or Replacement Application (Form I-90):
- An alien carrying an expired green card should submit the Green Card Renewal Application Form I-90 immediately. Ideally, the green card is valid for 10 years.
- Do update yourself with your Green card expiry date. Without this it might be hard to work or travel.
- Normally, the green card renewal form I-90 should be filled within 6 months within the expiration date. Make the note of the date located at the front of the green card. If you fill your green card renewal application within 180 days of the expiry date, preventing further delay.
- If the expiration date is not present in the front of the green card, it is expected to be the older version. Renew the current one.
- If you want to change any incorrect information then the green card replacement application form I-90 becomes handy. This form is also essential when your green card is lost, stolen or damaged.
- Issued a green card before 14 years, then it is important to replace the green card after turning 14 years.
- Did your green card expired outside the U.S and you forgot to file a renewal prior to your departure, do contact the nearest US consulate, USCIS office, US port of entry before filing the green card form I-90.
- The processing time taken by USCIS to renew green card should be done in 3-4 months.
Problems faced with an Expired Green card
- Difficult to find a new job
- Risky to travel outside the United States
- Buying a new house in the U.S.A
- Renewing a driver’s license
Over to you!
It is quite normal to go unnoticed as the card is not used everyday. But, being a responsible citizen it is important to renew green card. Fortunately, there is no penalties or fine associated with the green card. Even when the card expires, you continue to become a permanent resident by law. An expired green card will land you into trouble when asked about your permanent residence. Be alert and fulfill your duties!